A new Wallethub study reviewed the quality and safety of American public school systems and showed that Louisiana’s public school system ranks 49th overall. The study used quality as 80 percent of the score with safety making up the other 20 percent.

To produce the rankings, researchers looked at high-school graduation rates, math and reading test scores, share of high schoolers completing ACTs and SATs, laws regarding school resource officers, bullying, and much more.

Louisiana ultimately ranked 49th for quality and 40th for safety with an overall score of 34.09, ahead of only Alaska and New Mexico. The Bayou State was ranked 49th overall.

School choice became one of the core issues in the Capitol during the 2022 legislative session. Despite this, Governor Edwards vetoed several school choice bills last month. In a state that ranks among the worst public schools in the country, Louisiana must do more to provide better options for kids.

The Center Square reported:

“A breakdown of the metrics shows Louisiana ranked 47th for dropout rate, tied with West Virginia for 48th in math scores, 47th for reading scores, tied with five states for 47th for median ACT score, and tied two other states for 43rd in percentage of threatened or injured high school students.”

To Read More Check Out the Original Article Here